Veritas, Vos, Liberabit
(The truth shall make you free)
motto of Johns Hopkins University
Lux et Veritas
(Light and truth)
motto of Yale University
Sir William Osler,
Knighted in 1911
Last updated August 2002
(You may download an Adobe Acrobat version of this curriculum vitae for printing.)
Choose to view:
- Participation as therapist in Dr. Jerome Frank's study of placebo effect: 1959.
- Co-Principal Investigator: Controlled study of the interaction of therapists' personal characteristics and of medication (imipramine, placebo) in the treatment of depression, USPHS Grant M-3741A: l959-1960. (With E.H. Uhlenhuth, M.D.)
- Methionine ingestion in schizophrenic patients treated with monoamine oxidase inhibitors, USPHS Grant MH-5521: l96l-l962. (With S.S. Kety, M.D. and R.J. Baldessarini, M.D.)
- Principal and Co-Principal Investigator: NIMH-PRB Outpatient Study of Drug-Set Interaction, USPHS Grant MH-04732: 1960 1968. (With E.H. Uhlenhuth, M.D. and L. Covi, M.D.)
- Co-Project Director: A controlled Study of Time-Limited Psychotherapy, USPHS Grant MH-16056: l969-1973. (With E. Meyer, M.D.)
- Clinical studies of borderline and narcissistic conditions: etiology, characteristics and treatment; Study of long-term effects of childhood emotional abuse, invalidation and neglect; Study of cognitive personality characteristics: 1979-.
- Psychiatric Research Network, American Psychiatric Assn: 1994-.
All at Johns Hopkins Hospital and University:
- Medical Students, l955-1965; l972-1974, and Psychiatric Residents, l958-1975. Research electives for Students and Residents as listed in School of Medicine Catalog 1964-98.
- Director, Henry Phipps Psychiatric Clinic Outpt. Group & Supportive Therapy Programs, l958-1961.
- Co-Director, Medical School Second Year Lecture Course, "Introduction to Psychopathology", with Jerome D. Frank, M.D. and John B. Imboden, M.D., l962-1965.
- Director of Seminars, Graduate Nurse Education Program, Henry Phipps Psych. Clinic, 1962-1965.
- Psychologists & Mental Hlth. Counselors: Counseling & Psychiat. Service, Homewood Campus, l982-86.
- American Psychiatric Association:
(a)Co-Chairman, Session on Control of Drug Usage, l965 Annual Meeting.
(b)Secretary, Session on Psychobiological and Pharmacological Studies of Manias and Depressions, 1971 Annual Meeting.
(c)Reviewer, American Journal of Psychiatry, l978-1994.
(d) Assembly of the American Psychriatric Assn. (Representative from Maryland), 1983-1993.
(e) APA Psychiatric Research Network, l994-.
- Maryland Foundation for Psychiatry Offices: Board of Directors, 1995-; President, 2000-.
- Psychiatric Consultant, College of Notre Dame, Baltimore, l973-l976.
- Chairman, Professional Associates Division, l979-1980 and l980-1981 Annual Giving Campaigns, Sheppard and Enoch Pratt Hospital.
- Class Agent, Annual Giving Program, The Putney School, Putney Vermont, l981-1985.
- Listed in American Men and Women of Science, Marquis Who's Who in America, Marquis Who's Who in the World, and ABMS Directory of Board Certified Medical Specialists.